Saturdays ride was mostly spent trying not to die from lack of air to the lungs. We spent 40 minutes in the ring. A lot of walking was done. Quite a bit of trot was also done. We worked on keeping him rounded and on the bit and moving forward from behind (at all gaits). As I already mentioned we did a bit of lead change work.
There seems to be a trend…
By Sunday I was able to breathe again. Sorry, not sorry Tuck! Time to work!
I started the ride with getting him to move off my leg at the walk. I feel like the walk is a very underappreciated gait. I wonder if having a good walk would help us do better in a hack class… I would think that if we have a quality walk and a ‘nicer’ horse doesn’t we may pin ahead of said horse??? I suppose anything is possible and worth a try. So we walked.
And then we trotted. A LOT. I like to start off on a long rein so that he gets a chance to stretch out before I ask him to round. Once I felt he was warmed up I started pushing him forward into contact. It took a bit of work to get him on the bit. Not his fault. Not counting the laughable Saturday ride, I hadn’t really ridden in a week.
Once he figured out what I was asking or more likely decided to stop being stubborn about it I started to work off the rail. One of the problems that we had at the show was with steer-ability. So I turned all over the place, circled jumps, cut across the ring, and did lots of change of bend. Thankfully Tuck decided this was fun and gave me good forward rhythm.
From there we moved on to the canter and continued to work off the rail. The next problem I wanted to iron out was moving forward out of the turn. That rollback turn at the show really killed us. So I asked Tuck to circle around every jump and made sure to squeeze when coming off the circle. Over all he was a good boy. We finished off with a few lead changes and called it a day.